Monday, October 19

The Handlebar

Despite my busy and exciting life of screwing up pie dough and going to bed at 8pm, I have found a little bit of time to start exploring Chicago. "Chicago" meaning all the places within a mile of my house that serve alcohol, caffeine, or brunch. This place is one of my favorite spots so far to spend my nonexistent disposable income, mostly because of these:

peanut butter and jelly handpies

Peanut butter and jelly handpies!! As in, little pockets of PIE DOUGH filled with PB&J and then FRIED, and served to you with their insides all warm and gooey. I am a woman obsessed. I actually DREAMT of these the other night. A little sad, maybe, but at least I am easy to please, right?

The rest of Handlebar's menu, especially for brunch, is equally amazing, but we won't talk about the fact that I preceded fried pie with a ginormous bowl of vegan biscuits and gravy.

Handlebar
2311 W North Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 384-9546

5 comments:

Reptilian Skies and Peacock Eyes said...

i like your blog lady

Unknown said...

So, this is where all the talk about handpies comes from. I love your blog too, Laura. Wish I could have brunch with you now. But I'll settle for Thanksgiving dinner later. Keep me hungry! Chris

laura said...

yum, yum, yum, these look amazing. I will try the pastry recipe soon..an apple tart since its fall.
are you wearing the checked pants and a white jacket with the crocs?
can't wait to see you in nov. menu ideas??? we can do some food recon in nyc...handpies are probably really good hangover food too!

Laura said...

thanks guys!! yes laura, we should start planning our feast, i'm super excited!

NMOS said...

That actually sounds delicious. PB&J is one of my favorite classics. Nice blog!